Subscribe!

Followers!

Share!

Share |

Facebook!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tis the Season to be Jolly?

There is always something about this time of year that makes me feel sad. There are multiple reasons for this:
  1. Snow. I really quite dislike snow. It's wet. Cold I don't mind. I can battle the cold. But as beautiful as newly fallen snow is, if I have to go out into it, I don't find it magical. I find it moist and annoying.
  2. The shorter days. Not that I'm not a night owl by nature, but the lack of sunlight bothers me.
  3. Christmas. I know that sounds terrible. I love the holiday. I love celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. But I'll admit the hype of everything gets to me. It's fun, but it ends rather quickly leaving me disappointed when everything is over. This might be the first year that I am disappointed before Christmas has even started.
  4. Mistletoe. This subtle holiday decoration reminds me of the fact that I am alone for the holidays once again with no one there to kiss me underneath the little bundle of red berries and green leaves. This also makes me realize that there is no one to kiss me as the ball drops on New Years Eve. Ugh, it's pathetic but I would go for an NCMO if it meant I got kissed during one of those moments.
  5. Sleep. This has nothing to do with the season really. I'm just not getting enough of it. And I probably won't be for quite some time. (Except after I finish this post. I will be sleeping when it's published.)
So, while there are many reasons which I love the season (seeing family, singing Christmas songs, giving/receiving gifts, food and celebrating the birth of Christ to name a few) I find myself sad during this time of year.

A quote from 'Friends' comes to mind:

"Here's to a lousy Christmas, and a crappy New Year."

3 Thoughts:

Booklogged said...

So you're feeling a little bit Scrooge-y right now, huh? Bah Humbug! I hope you'll still enjoy the good things of Christmas. (Like cleaning the house and baking some holiday goodies.)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Framed said...

I like the snow, especially while it's falling and I'm snug in my house. So peaceful and clean. I like Christmas while I'm with my family but it's sad when everyone leaves.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you about the snow; I have similar feelings about rain. Rain is wonderful until I have to go out in it.

And your Friends quote reminded me of Fry in Futurama: 'Here's to another lousy millennium'.